Chakras and Energy
We can probably all agree that 2020 was filled with stagnant and/or negative energy. However, did you know that there is a way to cleanse yourself of this energy to feel fresh and revitalized? But how?
First, you should know that the human body is made up of energy. In fact, everything is made up of energy. This article called, “Energy medicine has been used effortlessly by a variety of healers in various forms to improve health for centuries” does a great job explaining some of the science behind it without being too scientific.
According to the Hindu faith, the energy system that flows through our body is called Prana. The areas with the largest concentration of energies are called Chakras, which means “wheels” in Sanskrit. These Chakras have specific frequencies or vibrations and are influenced by color that can dictate some of your emotional and spiritual health.
Sometimes these Chakras can get blocked and create stagnant and/or negative energy. Conversely, there are ways to cleanse and balance your Chakras. Think of this as something you can add to your self-care routine in 2021.
What are your Chakras?
There are seven major areas in the Chakra system. They are:
- • The Root Chakra, located at the base of the spinal cord.
- • The Sacral Chakra, located below the navel.
- • The Solar Plexus Chakra, located above the navel area.
- • The Heart Chakra, located at the center of the chest.
- • The Throat Chakra, located in the center of the neck.
- • The Third Eye Chakra, located between the eyebrows.
- • The Crown Chakra, located at the top of the head.
Ways the Chakras can become blocked?
• The Root Chakra is your foundation and sense of security. It’s tied to basic needs like food, water, and shelter. Anxiety and nightmares can cause your Root Chakra to become blocked. On the other hand, overindulgence in food or being too materialistic can cause your Root Chakra to be overactive and unbalanced.
• The Sacral Chakra is responsible for your pleasure and passion. When your Sacral Chakra in working order, you’ll feel great. You’ll feel fulfilled and have a sense of wellness. When this Chakra is blocked, there are feelings of lethargy, fatigue, and lack of motivation. Addictive behaviors are also something that can misalign your sacral chakra.
• The Solar Plexus Chakra is the power center for your self-esteem. Big life changes or being criticized by others can knock the Solar Plexus Chakra out of alignment because they can make us question ourselves and the life around us.
• The Heart Chakra is all about love. When opened and balanced, this Chakra will allow compassion and love to flow freely between you and others. Childhood trauma or overthinking in relationships can cause your Heart Chakra to become blocked.
• The Throat Chakra is your communication center. When in alignment, you’ll be able to speak your inner truths and partake in positive self-expression. Fear of being judged by others and hiding how you feel can lead to a blockage of your Throat Chakra. Being unable to effectively communicate is a result of an unbalanced Throat Chakra.
• The Third Eye Chakra governs your perception and intuition. When your Third Eye is blocked, poor judgment and decision can be the result. Plus, other Chakras being unbalanced could likely mean your Third Eye Chakra is out of balance.
• The Crown Chakra is the bridge to enlightenment. That is the connection between our physical selves, our higher consciousness, and the universe. Stress, illness, or trauma can cause a disruption in the energy flowing from your Crown Chakra throughout the entire body. This can lead to feeling ungrounded and unmotivated or even overly aggressive and depressed.
You can find more in-depth information about your Chakras here.
How to cleanse and balance your Chakras
If you’re worried that your Chakras are misaligned or blocked, there are a variety of methods you can use to cleanse and heal them.
To recap, your Chakras are the areas of your body that have the largest concentration of energies flowing through them. Chakra is the Sanskrit word for “wheel”. Cleansing your Chakras is basically getting your wheels turning so energy can flow again, uninterrupted.
Meditation, yoga, and eating properly can help heal your chakras. However, to take things to the next level, you can incorporate colors, crystals, and sounds into these activities.
Meditation is probably the most common practice used to cleanse chakras. Additionally, it is important to note there are specific mantras (meditation sounds) and crystals associated with each Chakra that can be used in conjunction with meditation.
• Root – Place black tourmaline, red jasper, obsidian, or ruby between the inner thighs and repeat the mantra, “lam.” The associated color is red or black. Incorporating more root vegetables into your diet can help strengthen this Chakra’s vibration.
• Sacral – Place citrine or carnelian between your hip bones and repeat the mantra, “vam.” The associated color is orange. Eating orange fruits like mango or peaches can help nourish this Chakra.
• Solar Plexus – Place amber or tiger’s eye above your belly button and repeat the mantra, “ram.” The associated color is yellow. Since your Solar Plexus Chakra is such a power center, fueling it with complex carbs like rice and beans can be beneficial.
• Heart – Place rose quartz or green aventurine on the center of your chest and repeat the mantra, “yam.” The associated colors are pink and green. You can optimize your Heart Chakra’s energy by eating a lot of leafy greens and other green-colored veggies.
• Throat – Place sodalite or turquoise on your throat and repeat the mantra, “ham.”
• Third Eye – Place amethyst or lepidolite between your eyebrows and repeat the mantra, “om.” The associated color is blue. Drinking water, coconut water, or herbal teas can help keep your Third Eye Chakra clear.
• Crown – Place clear quartz or selenite right above your head on the floor and repeat the mantra, “om.” The associated colors are indigo or violet. Eating foods that boost serotonin levels, like raw cacao, can help energize the Crown Chakra.
Like our bodies, crystals also have frequencies and vibrations, which is why they can be useful to help clear blockages.
To meditate using crystals, lay down and place them using the guide above. Then starting with your Root Chakra picture a warm light spreading over that area and the crystal.
Picture this light as the same color of that crystal and use it to clear away negativities and stagnations until you feel the vibrations of the associated crystal connecting with the associated Chakra.
Repeating each mantra as you go can help keep you focused as you cleanse and balance each Chakra. To learn more about cleansing your chakras, check out this resource.
Don’t fret if you don’t know anything about crystals. The great thing about meditation is that it’s free, anyone can do it and you don’t need anything fancy to practice it. Start your 2021 right by learning how you can cleanse and align your Chakras.